Bergues Bridge and Rousseau Island Footbridge
Widening and modernisation
After the Mont-Blanc bridge, the Bergues bridge is the second bridge positioned most upstream across the Rhone where it exits from Lake Geneva. This bridge is closed to motor traffic and actually consists of two bridges joined in the middle of the river by a circular platform from which a footbridge leads to the Rousseau island.
The Bergues bridge was first built in wood, in the form of a suspension bridge, between 1828 and 1834, but because of defects this bridge collapsed a few years later. It was then replaced, in 1881, by the beam bridge that we know today.
Between 1966 and 1969 works were carried out in order to make the bridge wider. Bergues Bridge (consisting of 7 spans of 15.65 metres for the left arm and 5 spans of 16.70 metres for the right arm) has now a width of 10.92 metres for a total length of 193.25 metres. The Rousseau island footbridge (consisting of 2 lateral spans of 9.30 metres and a central span of 11 metres) has a width of 4.22 metres for a total length of 29.60 metres.