Chatelaine Temple

Construction

Client
Eglise nationale protestante de Genève
Architect
André et Francis Gaillard
Location
Geneva
Year
1958 - 1959

This temple, arising from a desire for formal experimentation, is based on a T-plan and reveals a wish for "total composition" including at the same time spatial, material and visual components. Playing with natural light, the coloured lateral glass wall constitutes the facade of a bar that includes in a row porch, vestibule and parish premises. A bell tower, resembling a sculpture, is added as a counterpoint. This parish ensemble is finally topped with a pleated concrete structure completing a subtle rhythmic work.

`